3.29.2009

tribunal for rwanda



One of the most interesting experiences I had while in Africa was sitting in on the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda. I wrote this in my journal shortly after my few hours at the Tribunal.

They sit on the other side of a glass wall. The victim on the stand is not in sight but hidden by walls and a curtain, protected, if only for this short time in court. Justice is in the hands of the judges. Do they know the power and message they send with their verdict? The lawyers argue, debate. Is the witness speaking of persecution to himself personally or is he speaking generally about "the people"? It makes a difference. They call for a closed session.

I shuffle myself to the next courtroom for the Nshogoza Trial. A lawyer is on the stand being questioned. Objections, over rulings and debate bounce off the walls. I listen to the trial through a headset with a translator when they don't speak English. Recess.

I've witnessed a small piece of what I hope is global justice. I'll probably read a book about this Tribunal one day and its significance to Africa, politics and war. It will carry a message. This shows me the power of a small group of people in an ordinary courtroom in Arusha, Tanzania. They make history while trying to heal Rwanda's past.

No comments: